Kanonkop Wine Estate was once again the centre of attention at the annual IWSC (International Wine & Spirits Competition) awards ceremony on Thursday, September 29, when they were awarded the trophy for Red Wine Producer of the Year 2022.
Located in South Africa’s famed wine region, Stellenbosch, Kanonkop has 95 hectares under vine. Pinotage and Cabernet Sauvignon account for 85 percent of the varietals planted on the estate, with small areas of Merlot and Cabernet Franc making up the balance.
“Our aim is to remain the top red wine producer of South Africa,” says Johann Krige, Kanonkop CEO and the IWSC’s 2022 President.
It’s a bold but simple ambition – and one that the IWSC judges clearly felt is within reach, with no less than 12 medals awarded to Kanonkop this year:
- Black Label Pinotage 2015
- Black Label Pinotage 2017
- Black Label Pinotage 2019 (Gold Medal / 95 points)
- Paul Sauer 2012
- Paul Sauer 2017
- Paul Sauer 2018
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Gold Medal / 97 points)
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 (Gold Medal / 95 points)
- Pinotage 2006 (Gold Medal / 96 points)
- Pinotage 2017
- Pinotage 2019
To view our full range of Kanonkop wines available to purchase click here